Dr. Mark A. Edwards: selected publications
- Naito, Y. I., M. Germonpré, Y. Chikaraichu, N. Ohkouchi, D. G. Drucker, K. A. Hobson, M. A. Edwards, C. Wißing, and H. Bocherens. 2016. Evidence for herbivorous cave bears (Ursus spelaeus) in Goyet Cave, Belgium: Implications for paleodietary reconstruction of fossil bears using amino acid δ15N approaches. Journal of Quaternary Science 31 (6): 598-606.
- Smereka, C. A., M. A. Edwards, J. Pongracz, M. Branigan, and A. E. Derocher. 2016. Den selection by barren-ground grizzly bears, Mackenzie Delta, Northwest Territories. Polar Biology DOI: 10.1007/s00300-016-1974-2
- Edwards, M. A. and A. E. Derocher. 2015. Mating-related behaviour of grizzly bears inhabiting marginal habitatat the periphery of their North American range. Behavioural Processes 111: 75-83.
- Weimann, B., M. A. Edwards, and C. N. Jass. 2014. Identification of the baculum in American pika (Ochotona princeps: Lagomorpha) from southwestern Alberta, Canada. Journal of Mammalogy 95 (2): 284-289.
- Edwards, M. A., A. E. Derocher, and J. A. Nagy. 2013. Home range size variation in female Arctic grizzly bears relative to reproductive status and resource availability. PLOS One 8 (7): E68130. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0068130
- Edwards, M. A. 2012. New research at the Royal Alberta Museum compliments the upcoming exhibit, Wolf to Woof: The Story of Dogs. Mammoth Tracks, pages 11 â€“ 12.
- Edwards, M. A., A. E. Derocher, K. Hobson, M. Branigan, and J. A. Nagy. 2011. Fast carnivores and slow herbivores: differential foraging strategies among grizzly bears in the Canadian Arctic. Oecologia 165(4): 877-899.
- Edwards, M. A. 2009. Spatial ecology of grizzly bears (Ursus arctos) in the Mackenzie Delta oil and gas development area. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
- Edwards, M. A., J. A. Nagy, and A. E. Derocher. 2009. Low site fidelity and home range drift in a wide-ranging, large Arctic omnivore. Animal Behaviour 77(1): 23-28. Note: This manuscript is a feature article in the January issue of Animal Behaviour.
- Edwards, M. A., J. A. Nagy, and A. E. Derocher. 2008. Using subpopulation structure for barren-ground grizzly bear management. Ursus 19(2): 91-104.
- Edwards, M. A. 2007. Ecology of grizzly bears (Ursus arctos) in the Mackenzie Delta oil and gas development area: Final Report. University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. 32 pp.
- Edwards, M. A. 2006. Habitat and movement ecology of grizzly bears in the Mackenzie Delta, NWT. Arctic 59(4): 553-556
- Edwards, M. A. 2005. Grizzlies of the North Coast Face an Uncertain Future. Environmental News. 5 (2): 1-2.
- Edwards, M. A., A. E. Derocher, and J. A. Nagy. 2005. Barren-ground grizzly bears of the Western Arctic: potential influence of oil and gas development and climate change. Pages: 66 â€“ 87 in H. Castleden, R. Danby, A. Giles, and J. P. Pinard, editors. New Northern Lights: Graduate Research by Circumpolar Students from the University of Alberta. Canadian Circumpolar Institute (CCI) Press, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
- Edwards, M. A. and G. J. Forbes, 2003. Food habits of ermine (Mustela erminea) in a forested landscape. The Canadian Field-Naturalist 117(2): 245-258.
- Edwards, M. A. 2003. Grizzly bear habitat enhancement recommendations: Final Report. Alberta Conservation Association, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. 25 pp.
- Edwards, M. A., A. E. Derocher, and J. Nagy. 2003. Ecology of North-coastal Grizzly Bears in the Mackenzie Delta Oil and Gas Development Area. International Bear News 12(3): 16-17.
- Edwards, M. A., G. J. Forbes, and J. C. Bowman. 2001. Fractal dimension of ermine, Mustela erminea (Carnivora : Mustelidae), movement patterns as an indicator of resource use. Mammalia 65 (2): 220-225.
- Bowman, J. C., D. Sleep, G. J. Forbes, and M. A. Edwards. 2000. The association of small mammals with coarse woody debris at log and stand scales. Forest Ecology and Management 129 (1-3): 119-124.
- Edwards, M., J. Bowman, G. Forbes, and T. Dilworth. 1999. Relationship of weasel track tortuosity to prey abundance and habitat structure. Pages 22 â€“ 26 in F. Huettmann and J. Bowman, eds. Investigation of Animal Movement: Workshop Proceedings. Sir James Dunn Wildlife Research Centre, University of New Brunswick, Fredericton NB, Canada.
- Bowman, J. C., M. Edwards, L. S. Sheppard, and G. J. Forbes. 1999. Record distance for a non-homing movement by a Deer Mouse, Peromyscus maniculatus. Canadian Field-Naturalist 113(2): 292-293.
- Clevenger, A. P. and M. A. Edwards. 1999. Dry drainage culvert use by small- and medium-sized mammals along a major transportation corridor. Martes Working Group Newsletter. 7(1): 5.
- Ballard, W. B., M. Edwards, S. G. Fancy, S. Boe, and P. R. Krausman. 1998. Comparison of VHF and satellite telemetry for estimating wolf territory sizes in northwest Alaska. Wildlife Society Bulletin 26 (4): 823-829.
- Bowman, J., M. A. Edwards and W. B. Ballard. 1996. The influence of temporal and spatial landscape patterns on mustelid trophic dynamics in New Brunswick: a proposal. Martes Working Group Newsletter 4(1): 18.
- Edwards, M. A., H. A. Whitlaw and W.B. Ballard. 1996. New Brunswick Department of Transportation monitoring of wildlife crossings and fencing recommendations. Porter Dillon Ltd. 30 pp.