Military and Political History
Alberta's diverse military and political history features stories of courage, heartbreak, and triumph. From cots to campaign posters and trench art to tokens, the Military and Political History collection contains over 55,000 artefacts, including:
- Uniforms and equipment representing the three branches of the Canadian Armed Forces, as well as federal, provincial, and municipal law enforcement.
- A wide array of objects that represent the functions of government in Alberta as well as political movements, parties, and personalities.
- 13,000+ pieces of numismatic material (coins, tokens, medallions, paper money, and other types of currency).
- 1,000+ military and civilian medals.
- 3,000+ Prisoner of War and Home Front artefacts, ranging from material representing Albertan PoWs abroad to combatant German PoWs in Alberta during the Second World War.
- 2,000 firearms that date from the mid-1700s to present.
In addition to historical artefacts, our program also collects objects related to Alberta's military, politics and governmental activies of today.