Vikings: Beyond the Legend
April 18 – October 20, 2019
- RAM to host Canadian premiere of Vikings: Beyond the Legend - February 5, 2019
The Vikings are coming to Alberta! RAM is thrilled to host its first international feature exhibition, Vikings: Beyond the Legend. This exhibition at RAM includes the Canadian premiere of the Roskilde 6 – the longest Viking warship ever found, featuring approximately 1,000 year-old wooden planks and metal supports showing the ship's original lines. Vikings: Beyond the Legend is the largest touring exhibition of Viking material in the world, sharing the evolution of Vikings as skilled artisans, farmers, traders, and explorers who changed the course of history.
Visitors will learn about Viking culture, society, and technology as they may never have known it, presented through more than 650 objects dating from the 9th to 10th centuries. Exhibits include jewellery, swords, coins and tools, enhanced by interactive experiences, striking multimedia and augmented reality.Highlights include:
- The 37-metre Roskilde 6, using 25% of the original, preserved planks
- The full-size, six-metre replica ship Joanna, built with Viking Age techniques and materials
- A "ghost ship" sculpture of hanging iron replica rivets from a burial ship
- A full-scale replica of the Jelling Rune Stone often called Denmark's birth certificate
- Unique artifacts like "Thor's hammer," Ulfberht swords and the Hevring Flak rudder
- Elaborate jewellery and coins
- Hands-on activities highlighting traditional clothing, the rune alphabet and Viking games
- Interactive components including an opportunity to pick up a precise replica of a Viking Age sword to feel its weight and balance
- An augmented reality rowing experience that lets visitors test their ability to maintain the rowing cadence of a Viking ship
Warning: Strobe lights are used in this exhibition.
Please include photo credit as "Image courtesy of MuseumsPartner"
Please include photo credit as "Image courtesy of the National Museum of Denmark"
For media inquiries, please contact:
Head, Marketing and Communications